Sexting Laws in Florida
Old sexting laws in Florida:
Any minor caught sending or receiving explicit text message pictures could have been charged with:
- a felony and…
- be forced to register as a sex offender.
New sexting laws in Florida:
Effective October 1, 2011: Under the new Florida law:
- A first offense for teen sexting is non-criminal and is punishable by up to 8 hours of community service or a 60 dollar fine.
- The second offense is a misdemeanor
- The third becomes a felony, with a maximum 5-year prison sentence.
- Teens who receive sexually explicit photos could not be prosecuted.
This is good news as the old laws were too much. Everyone makes mistake and the new laws allow rooms for teens to correct their mistakes.
Sexting is fun and I believe it is going to continue no matter what. And with technology advancing so fast, smart phones are now so popular, sexting will even become a lot more popular.
I believe teen should set their priority on their education. Being in a relationship distracts you a lot.
A lot of people are concerning why the government steps in and stop teens from sexting. They believe that sexting should be taken care of in school and at home. Sometimes things won’t work out that easy. If there is a rule in the laws, it helps better.
Similar laws are currently in effective in Texas and New Jersey. I guess soon other states will adapt too. Hope for the best.