Calling to Remove Sexters from Offender Registry

    April 22, 2012: The Australia Law Reform Commission wants the government to review and remove sexters who were placed in the sex offender registry, arguing that the registry should only be used for people who pose “a genuine risk of sexually abusing children”.

    Teens who were forced to register as sex offenders face many real life consequences including having very limited employment and other opportunities. Let’s hope this fight is going to be a success.

     

    Full Story:

    YOUNG people listed as sex offenders over ”sexting” offences should be removed from the register, the Law Reform Commission has urged the state government.

    Calling for sweeping changes to the sex offender register, the commission takes up the case of those whose employment and other opportunities have been severely limited after being registered as a serious sex offenders.

    Sexting is people taking naked or revealing pictures of themselves or their partners and sending them to others via mobile phones or the internet. The plight of several young men listed as sex offenders over sexting was highlighted by The Sunday Age late last year.

    In a report tabled in Parliament last week, the Law Reform Commission recommended a specialist panel be set up to review the circumstances of each of the more than 4000 Victorians registered as sex offenders and ”remove people from the register who do not present a risk”.

    It urged the government to amend the scheme so that it applied only to those offenders who posed a genuine risk of sexually abusing children. Acting Law Reform Commission chairman David Jones said that although it was unusual for the consequences of criminal proceedings to be revisited, in the interests of fairness the government needed to do so in these cases.

    Police Chief Commissioner Ken Lay said this week that with police struggling to manage the register, consideration should be given to removing some low-level offenders.

    In one case highlighted by The Sunday Age, a young man was registered for 15 years after transmitting images of himself and his girlfriend, both aged 17, having sex.

    The young man, while hopeful the law may be changed, said: ”I am trying not to get my hopes up too much because my dad and I have been fighting against this for so long and we have been knocked back a lot of times.”

    Source: theage.com.au